Friday, March 7, 2014

Bad Gone Good: Rice Krispie Treats



Before I got pregnant with Ali, I was a vegetarian.   But during that entire pregnancy; all I wanted was meat.  More specifically bacon cheese burgers, sausage, and beef ribs.  
All with LOTS of BBQ sauce.

Madeleine was a different story.  I turned into a carbivore. My two favorite things were Ben & Jerry's Red Velvet Cake ice cream and rice krispie treats.  I'm not a huge fan of marshmallows and after the 5th batch of treats; I began to feel really guilty about my poor eating habits.  Thus, the creation of my
healthy version of the treat.

This recipe is fast and furious.
It takes less than 5 minutes to make.

1 cup honey peanut butter
1/2 cup honey
splash of vanilla extract
3 cups rice krispie cereal

A splash of vanilla definitely makes these better but isn't 100% necessary.
I didn't have rice krispie cereal in the pantry this morning and didn't want to go buy any.
But I did have a box of *almost* stale Cheerios. Score!




Before you go pouring sticky stuff into measuring cups, spray those cups down with cooking spray.
That keeps PB or honey or anything sticky from, well...sticking.
While you are at it, also spray a 9x9 pan.

Measure out your PB and honey and put both into a large pot on the stove.

Melt the PB and honey together over med-high heat until it is smooth.

Turn off the heat.  Add the splash of vanilla and your cereal of choice.
Spread the whole mixture into your greased 9x9 pan.
It needs about an hour to solidify.  
You can put it in the fridge, but don't leave it there or it gets hard and gross.

These will be softer than your typically rice krispie treat but just as tasty.

Contemplating.

Oh Yes, that is good.


 Let me know if you make these and like them!
Have a great weekend everyone!






No comments:

Post a Comment