Friday, June 27, 2014

whyisew




Sewing!  It's my love child. Seriously.  Zeus and I had a night together and sewing was the byproduct.

Why do I love it?  Because it is fun.  And challenging.  Do I sew perfectly every time?  NEVER! But I do try and I hope to be perfect one day.

I learn something new every time I turn on my sewing machine. As long as you are advancing, then you are obviously sewing correctly.

Let's go back in time for a moment.


A few months before Ali Cat was born (June 2010), I mentioned to my husband I would love to learn to sew so I could make pretty things for our coming soon daughter.  We were living in Italy at the time so I had no where to go for lessons nor knew how to even thread a machine.  My mother sewed when I was very young but didn't learn anything from her.  One day a few weeks after Ali came into the world, Karl brought home our mail, including a large box.  I opened it and found a sewing machine.  I was SO excited but terrified at the same time.  The machine sat on our kitchen table until my mother came to visit a month later and she showed me the basics.  I remember stepping on the pedal for the first time and FREAKING out because it sewed so fast.  I just knew it was a matter of time before I sewed through my finger.  

I didn't sew much of anything for the first 6 months.  The machine and I hated each other.  I had bobbin problems (who doesn't?) but I kept trying and cursing. After reading the machine manual for the umpteenth time and Googling my problem; my bobbin issue was solved.   GLORY!

Here is the first project I finished.  No pattern, made from a nightshirt, and based off her own leggings.  They were on the small side and the stitching is horrid.  I had no idea how to sew knit fabric. But hell, they stayed together in the wash. 
 I'm still proud of these.



You can OO and AAH right now.

First garment I made from a paper pattern.
I had no idea how to read a paper pattern. 
The bodice isn't lined and the sleeves are on the wrong way.
I made her wear it anyway.  Love the apples.

Apron.  My own pattern.  Sold this baby!


After three years of real sewing, I made this romper from a paper pattern.
My favorite item EVER made. Fully lined, even the sleeves, all finished seams, 
awesome fabric choices.  Tooting my own horn here.

Another one of my favorites. Doesn't she look pretty?

Now to degrade myself.  I still always make mistake.
Check out this perma-wedgie.  YIKES!

Mostly I sew because it's fun and I like to be silly.  And I like boats.
You see the boat, don't you?

So, yea.  That's it.  I sew because I enjoy it.  Taking a piece of fabric and turning it into something beautiful is just a rewarding as giving birth (but without all the pain). FABRIC BABIES!
Do something because it makes you happy.  Don't let someone tell you that you can't do something because you don't do it perfectly.  That's just mean.

Get to sewing and doing what you love!

No comments:

Post a Comment