Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Swoon Sewing Patterns Clyde



I have had the greatest pleasure of getting to know Alicia from Swoon Sewing Patterns. The Clyde is the fourth bag pattern I have made from her patterns.  

You can see the other bags I've made below.


For this bag, I decided to try something new: stenciled burlap.
Here is a quick "how I did it".

 Mixed my paint color with fabric medium.  
If you can't find fabric paint or if you can't find the right color, just mix your regular ol'
acrylic paint with a wee bit of fabric medium and voila!  Fabric paint.



I found a picture online that I liked, traced it on freezer paper and cut out the negative.  
I THOUGHT I was being smart since you can iron freezer paper on fabric 
and reuse it multiple times. 
I forgot that it would have paint on it and I couldn't iron it again and it warped.  Well, shit!

Looking around my crap room, I found this accordion.  Cut my picture out again.

The sturdier paper worked great.  Towards the end, it was getting soggy, so I worked fast. 
Wham, bam, thank ya mama fast!
I stenciled over all of my exterior fabric.

 I let the paint dry 24 hours.  That was probably unnecessary, but I wanted to make doubly sure
it was dry.  Then, I doused each external piece with fabric stiffener.  That took about 36 hours to dry thoroughly.  Finally, I backed each piece (except the strap) with interfacing. Burlap wiggles around, between the fabric stiffener and the interfacing, it held up well for me.

And here he is, Mr. Sexy Clyde.  I love this bag. He's a keeper.



3 comments:

  1. So cute! Love your stencil idea...even if attempt #1 was "Well, shit!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are one brave woman, I tried burlap once... It's not easy to work with! Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! No, it was certainly not easy! and I will probably never do it again. but I can say I did it and move on. lol

      Delete