Friday, September 27, 2013

Italian Lemon Cake Recipe


The hubby and I lived in Italy for 2.5 years.  Our oldest daughter was born there as well. 
We have many fond memories and are dying to return to Europe (to live) in the future.

It is true that the food is superior.  It's fresh; straight from the garden.  We were in Naples and Mount Vesuvius provides the most fertile soil to the area.  The vegetables are enormous and flavorful. 

For example, here are the two lemon trees in our garden.



 Look at the size of that lemon!

This is the deck/view of the fist house we lived in.  
(We lived in three different places during our stay.)
Not so shabby, huh?



 Getting to the point.  I collected a few wonderful recipes while there, one of which is 
Lemon Cake.  Italians don't eat the same type of desserts as Americans.  Their pastries are typically less sweet than ours.   So, by me calling it 'cake' isn't accurate.  
They would probably call it a pane dolce (sweet bread).  However, this recipe is much sweeter than the typical Italian dessert.

A lovely lady that my husband and I both worked with gave me this recipe.  
I now share it with you.

 Italian Lemon Cake

400 g flour*
400 g sugar*
4 eggs
8oz vege oil
8oz milk
2 lemons:  need juice and zest
1 packet Pane Degli Angeli **

Mix everything together, pour into a buttered and floured pan.  Bake at 350F for 45-60 minutes.
Or if making cupcakes, bake for 18 minutes.

Glaze 
(this is not part of the original recipe, but I like to add it.)

1 1/2c powdered sugar
3T lemon juice
zest from 1 lemon

Stir until smooth.  Glaze cake after it's cool.

*I do recommend measuring the flour and sugar out rather than converting to cups.
**Pane degli Angeli is an Italian leavening agent.  Amazon wants a ridic amount of $$$ for it, sadly.
I paid about 4€ for a box while in Italy and brought several boxes back with me. It's really freakin' awesome stuff.
I am ASSUMING you could replace it with 1tsp baking soda + 1/2 tsp baking powder + splash vanilla.  If you try that and it doesn't work out, please don't hate me.

This lemon cake is probably the best I've ever had. You should make it!




No comments:

Post a Comment